In order to participate in the program, each student must own or have access to:
- the internet — ensure you have installed the latest version of your browser. The preferred browser is Netscape.
- the minimum computer hardware and software requirements
- use PC's (assistance is limited for other hardware, software or operating platforms)
- other communication services
Please Note: Students are responsible for their own communications costs, such as long-distance telephone charges and subscriptions to an Internet node, or any other communications service requirement. Older technology may be inadequate to allow full participation in the course or it may detract from a student's learning experience.
In order to participate, each student must own or have ready access to the following suggested minimum computer hardware and software requirements:
- a computer that conforms to the minimum standards. Athabasca University's standard computing platform is the IBM-compatible computer. Some courses support other hardware and software platforms and / or have more specific requirements and these are noted in the Web syllabus. Students are advised that only limited assistance for other hardware and software platforms is offered from Athabasca University's Help Desk.
- a modem
- and an Internet service provider (ISP connection).
In order to participate in this program, students must have access to the following computer hardware and software.
Students must also have access to the latest available version of their Web browsers (i.e., Netscape, Internet Explorer, Mozilla, etc.)
Following is the minimum configuration.
- PC with 1 GB of RAM
- 10 GB free disk space
- Compatible monitor
- CD-ROM/DVD player
- Sound card, speakers, and microphone
- Minimum Internet dial-up connection - 56 KB (or higher preferred)
- Zip or other backup system
Following is the recommended (standard) configuration.
- PC with 1 GB of RAM or higher
- 20 GB free disk space
- 1280 x 1024 resolution monitor
- 16 MB video RAM
- 32 speed CD-ROM or DVD
- 32 bit sound card: speakers and microphone (required for seminar courses)
- High-bandwidth Internet connection (ADSL, cable, or satellite)
- Laser colour printer
- Zip, memory stick, or other convenient and reliable backup system
- Scanner, printer, fax machine
- USB digital camera (suitable for video use in Elluminate and other VoIP systems)
- Microsoft Windows XP with Service Pack (recommended)
- Microsoft Office
- Current version of Internet Explorer or Mozilla Firefox
- Up-to-date anti-virus and firewall protection
PCs are the primary equipment supported by AU's Help Desk. Only limited assistance for other hardware and software platforms is offered. Students are responsible for their own communication costs such as long distance telephone charges and subscriptions to an Internet node, or any other communications service requirements.