Skip To Content

Athabasca University

Course Withdrawals

Students must formally request to withdraw from a course. Simply not completing the course requirements or not participating in the class does not constitute withdrawal. Students who wish to withdraw from a course must submit a GDLD Withdrawal Request Form. The date of withdrawal will be the postmark on the request, or, if the notice is hand-delivered or faxed, the University date stamp.

If a student withdraws from a course within the first month (early withdrawal), the registration will not be recorded on the student's official transcript.

If a student withdraws from a course after the first month of the course, but before the end date of the course, the official record and transcript will show that the student withdrew without credit and without prejudice or academic penalty and will be recorded as a "W" (Withdrawal in good academic standing) on the transcript. A refund is not granted for withdrawals after 30 days of the start date.

Students who fail to withdraw formally or complete their course prior to their course end date will automatically be assigned a system failure, which is recorded as "F" (Failure), with academic penalty.

Updated June 19 2019 by Student & Academic Services

AU, CANADA'S OPEN UNIVERSITY, is an internationally recognized leader in online and distance learning.